Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Along with the pier and the ticket office, Blairmore Hall is an important part of the marine heritage of Loch Long. The development of the Blairmore coast as a marine resort was made possible by the development of steamer services connecting with Glasgow. The set of buildings at Blairmore Pier forms a nucleus for the scattered development. This later 19th century hall, a simple single storey rectangular structure with round-arched openings, is central to the group.
Blairmore pier opened for business in 1855 and connected regularly with Lochgoilhead, Kilmun and Greenock. It is likely that the hall was built when the pier was improved in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 167). The building, which served as the waiting room and 'Refreshment Rooms' (see early photographs), E-facing, is gable-fronted, 3-bays wide by 7 bays deep with regular fenestration along the sides. The gabled front to the road has the entrance to the right, with a round-headed doorway reached by three stone steps. To the left of this are two further round-headed windows. In the gable is a round clock in a stone oculus. To each side elevation there are similar round-headed windows, as well as large sliding doors to the W.
The OS map of c1898 shows a further building to the rear of this, but at present only a de-roofed lean-to survives. Early photographs show the hall with a sign across the front gable and decorative bargeboards.
Interior: the interior, consisting of one large room, is plain, boarded to dado height. The ceiling, at low collar height, is flat, with a plain cornice.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf timber door. Timber boarded sliding doors to sides.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.