Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 19573 81735
- Coordinates219573, 681735
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore Pier, a hammerhead plan pier of timber pile construction is a crucial part of the development of the Holy Loch and the W shore of Loch Long. The piers of Blairmore, Strone and Kilmun served steamer traffic and hence made commuting to Glasgow a possibility. The pier is thus the reason for and the focus of the village of Blairmore.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43) to the designs of G Smith, Engineer. This appears to be largely that same pier, although a substantial improvement in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) appears to have involved the extension of the pier head to almost twice its original width and length. The pier was modelled on that built in Kirn in 1845, with a break in the middle for a cattle ramp (McCrorie and Monteith, 43). No traces of this ramp have survived. The pier is of timber piles and cross-bracing, with a timber boarded deck and timber railings (probably 20th century). On the pierhead is a small timber boarded building, again of the later 20th century, as an earlier photograph shows different pierhead buildings. Regular traffic to Blairmore eventually ceased in 1971.
Materials: timber piles, timber deck and rails.
Statement of Special Interest
the pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore.
Blairmore Pier re-opened for traffic in 2005.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Hall and Ticket Office and Blairmore Place.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Smith, G, Plan of Portinstuck Pier, Blairmore (1857), Register House Plan 2759; McCrorie, I and Monteith, J, Clyde Piers- A Pictorial Record (1982); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135-6; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Photographs, NMRS.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.