Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 19384 82780
- Coordinates219384, 682780
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Bannachra (1861) is one of the better examples of villas on the Shore Road remaining in substantially unaltered condition and with its original coach house The house has a number of decorative features, such as the corbelled and pierced stone parapets. Bannachra, a rectangular-plan 3-bay 2-storey villa with a gabled front, also makes a significant contribution to the collection of buildings along the shore.
The central entrance to Bannachra is in a basket-arched doorway with sandstone voussoirs. Above this is a tudor-arched window in a half-dormer. To the left of the door there is a tripartite window, above which is a false parapet with pierced quatrefoil stonework. On the first floor is a round-arched window. The gable on the right which, unusually, does not project from the front of the house, has a canted bay on the ground floor, a pierced quatrefoil parapet and a hood-moulded tripartite window on the 1st floor. A greenhouse is attached to the S elevation. To the rear of the house is a single-storey piended 'roof projection.
The house appears to have survived substantially as on the 1st edition O.S. map. On the 2nd edition map there is an extension to the rear of the coach house, but this appears to have been removed since. A window on the S elevation has recently been converted to form a door.
Interior: access to the interior was not possible at the time of the resurvey (2004).
Materials: painted rubble with sandstone dressings. Graded slate gabled roof. Stone chimneys and polygonal clay cans. Timber sash and case windows, predominantly plate glass, but with lying-pane glazing to the sides
Coach House, Boundary Walls: to the side of the house is a 2-storey coach house, typical of those found in the locality, with projecting voussoirs on the depressed coach arch as on the main house and a round-headed window on the first floor. The house is surrounded by rubble boundary walls, with a cast iron gate on square-plan stone gatepiers.
Statement of Special Interest
Built in 1861 for Arthur Anderson, a Glasgow Wine and Spirit merchant (Information courtesy of the owner, 2004). The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore Pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards (Walker, 2000, 147).
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000); Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.