Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 19427 82330
- Coordinates219427, 682330
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Duart Tower is a good example of a villa of around 1850 and is one of the more interesting along this shore. The 2-storey house, consisting of a gabled front with a square tower, obviously borrows from a number of sources, specifically Italianate villas by Alexander Thomson. It is a striking design, which stands out above the shore, has a number of features of quality such as the stained glass and contributes to the collection of buildings along the Blairmore shore.
Duart Tower appears to have been built as two blocks, with perhaps a lower service block to the rear. This initial house was relatively compact, with the main gabled front containing a 3-centred mullioned window above a canted bay. To the right of this is the square-plan belvedere tower, with a shallow-pitch pyramidal roof and a long round-headed stair window. The entrance, through a coved surround, is in a separate single-storey gabled bay to the right of this. The single-storey service block to the rear was also of the initial phase.
Later, c1900, the right hand block of the front elevation, was built in the Arts and Crafts idiom, with black and white half-timbering on an upper-storey projection. Although the main block and the Arts and Crafts blocks have survived in their original forms, the rear block has been substantially remodelled in recent years.
Interior: the interior contains many decorative features, including stained glass in the roof lights and stair window. The large round-headed stair window contains the Robertson arms (probably of c.1900).
Materials: painted rubble with ashlar dressings. Timber framing to S block. Slate roof, stone stacks and polygonal clay cans. Modern replacement slate to rear block. Predominantly timber sash and case windows, leaded stair window. 2-leaf timber main doors.
Outbuildings, Boundary Walls: a single storey pitch-roofed rectangular-plan rubble outbuilding survives to the S, as well as the large, probably early 20th century garage at the base of the property. To the front of the house is an interesting man-made cave feature. The house is surrounded by a rubble boundary wall.
Statement of Special Interest
The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards (Walker, 2000, 147). The original feuar at Duart was a William Leckie Ewing McLean of Glasgow (List of Benmore Feuars). Early in the 20th century the owner was Oswald M. Robertson, whose coat of arms appears in the stair window.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); List of Benmore Feuars (c1915), Courtesy of Benmore Trust; Walker, F A, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), p136; Walker, F A, The Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.