Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 15476 83109
- Coordinates215476, 683109
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Eachaig Bridge, a single-span wrought iron double warren lattice truss bridge was built in 1885 to replace an earlier timber bridge and accommodate heavier traffic. There is an increasing rarity of unaltered wrought iron bridges, of which this is a good example, with interesting details. The bridge also reflects the late 19th century increase in road traffic, as scenic excursions from Dunoon north became more popular.
The lattice trusses have extensive side bracing and heavy cast iron hand rails. The deck, unusually, is half-way up the trusses. To either end are ashlar dies and splayed ashlar parapets. An early design for the bridge (RHP 82894) shows a more decorative castellated die.
On either side of the bridge are plaques reading 'Echaig Bridge Erected by the Trustees of the Dunoon district of roads, Argyleshire' followed by a full list of the trustees and 'Richard Gallen Surveyor Dunoon and Cowal roads since 1860'. The engineers were Bell and Miller, Westminster and Glasgow and the contractor Hanna, Donald and Wilson, Paisley.
Statement of Special Interest
From the 1880s scenic road tours began to be more popular in Cowal. The Loch Eck Tour travelled North along the loch from Dunoon or Kilmun. At the same time, attractions such as the picture gallery at Benmore attracted large numbers of visitors.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Inglis' Guide to Dunoon and Environs (1883); Elevation of Proposed Bridge, Bell and Miller (1884), Register House Plan 82894.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.