Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 17471 81224
- Coordinates217471, 681224
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This memorial to James Duncan, the owner and improver of Benmore estate, is situated off the road at Graham's Point. The memorial, erected in 1906, commemorates Duncan's achievements in the locality. Designed by A. Macfarlane Shannon, the memorial consists of a grey granite obelisk on a high plinth of grey granite with inset pink granite slabs. On the NE face of the obelisk is a bronze low-relief bust of Duncan. To the base of the plinth on the SE, SW and NW sides are drinking troughs for animals. The memorial was originally a working drinking fountain, with spouts and animal drinking troughs on three sides. However, it no longer functions. The inscription on the plinth has also been lost.
Materials: Grey and pink granite, bronze plaque.
Statement of Special Interest
James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner, purchased the estates of Bernice, Kilmun and Benmore in 1870. He was responsible for much of the planting which still survives at Benmore. While in control of the estate, Duncan carried out a number of improvements, such as discovering and mining tin and lead at Gairletter. Duncan also built numerous houses and a hall at Strone (since demolished).
The sculptor responsible for the design was Archibald Macfarlane Shannan (1850-1915). The contractors were MacDonald and Co., Aberdeen Granite Works, Glasgow. The Memorial was unveiled in 1906. The location of the memorial can be explained by the fact that the main road followed the coast around Graham's Point, which was within the grounds of Finnartmore.
Builder, xci, p438; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 359; Buildings of Scotland Notes, NMRS; McEwan, P, Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture (2004), 507; Information courtesy of local residents (2004).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.