Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 19225 80776
- Coordinates219225, 680776
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The Stables and Cottage are part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. This building is an important part of that set of buildings, prominent in views both to and from the main house and reflecting the architecture of Dunselma. The L-plan 1½-storey buildings consist of stables and staff living quarters.
The stables are assumed to have been built at the same time as the main house at Dunselma. The principal elevation is to the High Road, facing SE. This asymmetrical elevation has a crow-stepped gable to the right and a pointed dormer to the left. The windows are single and bipartite with stone mullions, the single door round-headed. The return elevation, facing the main house and perhaps formerly the principal elevation, has two advanced crowstepped gables. The building is decorated with moulded string and eaves courses and decorative hood-moulds throughout. The inside elevations of the courtyard have regular fenestration and pedimented dormers. The entrance to the courtyard is to the NE. Formerly there was a small L-plan greenhouse to the NE of the courtyard but this has since been demolished.
The stables fell into disrepair through the later 20th century. At the time of the resurvey (2004), restoration work was in progress. The ventilator spire and wind-vane had been removed for re-leading.
Interior: although the stables have lain empty for some time, the timber boarding survives to many of the rooms, with some decorative timber ceilings.
Materials: harled with sandstone ashlar dressings. Partly slated roof with stone ridge. Ashlar stacks and clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods. Timber sash and case windows.
Boundary Wall: high harled wall with pointed ashlar coping.
Statement of Special Interest
James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats' main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).
The house later belonged to Walter Bergius of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.
Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.
The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.
B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma Lodge and The Boathouse.
Ordnance Survey 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 62, 472; Information Courtesy of the Owner and a local resident (2004).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.