Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This Lodge formerly served Dunselma, immediately to the N. Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The Lodge is part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. The Lodge, as well as being an attractive building in its own right, making a significant contribution to the group of buildings along the Strone shore, provides an introduction to the architecture of the main house. The interior details echo those of the main house, with a fine timber staircase, and plasterwork containing Coats family crests and symbols.
The lodge consists of a double- gabled front elevation with a conical-roofed turret in the SW corner. The central entrance is round-arched, under a stone balcony on heavy consoles. There is a variety of window details, included a triangular bay with a stone roof, a canted bay with crenellated parapet and decorated pediments. A number of the details of the main house, such as the crowstepped gables and corbelled tower are repeated in the lodge. The stonework on the exterior is of extremely high quality, including animal carvings. The lodge was initially smaller, but parts of the rear and SW elevations have been raised to form a second storey and a small lean-to shed has been attached to the rear.
Interior: the interior is particularly rich for a lodge, with an oak staircase and panelling, as well as fine plaster work in a number of the rooms. Designs include the serpent from the Coats family crest. Parts of the interior have been modernised. For example, the fireplace on the NE reception room has been replaced.
Materials: harled with sandstone ashlar dressings. Grey slate roof with stone ridge. Ashlar stacks and clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods. Timber sash and case windows with plate glass. Timber boarded outer door. Inner door glazed with etched glass.
Boundary Walls, Gates And Gatepiers: low harled boundary walls to the front with chamfered ashlar copes. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal capstones. Heavy cast iron gates.
Statement of Special Interest
James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats' main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).
The house later belonged to Walter Bergius (another keen sailor) of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.
Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.
The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.
B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma stables and The Boathouse.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.