Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This group of earlier 19th century cottages at the N end of Ardentinny village, facing E over the sea makes a significant contribution to the streetscape in Ardentinny. The cottage group includes an earlier 19th century school, added on to the N end of the row. The row consists of what is now four cottages, the three southernmost in a straight line, with steeply-pitched slate roofs and slated dormers. To the N, at an angle, is the octagonal-ended piend-roofed former school. Their early date and contribution to the parish is significant
The date of construction of the cottages is uncertain. However, an early 19th century date is most likely and it is possible these are the buildings which appear next to the river on the 1824 map by Thomson. The cottages are likely to have been related to the estate at Glenfinart. This original row probably consisted of three cottages, with a smaller one in the middle. However, it has also been suggested that the middle cottage may have been a smithy (information from a resident, 2004). The steep pitch suggests these cottages were originally thatched.
Blinkbonny is 4-bay and asymmetrical, with a flat-roofed porch and slated dormers, Raglan single-fronted with a bowed ground floor window, a bipartite dormer and a gabled timber porch and Fern Cottage 3-bay with a gabled porch and piended dormers. Glencairn has the half-octagon end, with large chamfered-margin windows, and a single dormer.
The estate of Glenfinart was purchased by Archibald Douglas in c1837 and a number of improvements carried out to the area. This included the construction of the church immediately to the N of the cottages in 1838-9. Also at this time (c1842) Mrs Douglas of Glenfinart constructed the octagonal-ended school to the N of the cottages. The Statistical Account of 1845 mentions a house for the teacher adjoining a new school. The new construction is distinguished by the use of more ashlar dressings and considerably larger windows facing N. This rebuilding probably also involved slating the roofs of the remaining cottages.
On the first edition O.S map of c1865 there are outbuildings to the rear of the two cottages to the S. These have been extended by c1898. At present (2004), there are rear extensions to all 4 cottages, only those at Blinkbonny Cottage pre-20th century. At Fern Cottage, the outhouses are probably those of the older school.
The school was replaced in 1893, and appears to have been amalgamated with the schoolteacher's house to form a larger cottage.
Since then there have been some changes to the cottages. The school and teacher's house have once again been divided to form two cottages.
Interiors: the interiors of Blinkbonny and Raglan cottage have been modernised. Access to Glencairn and Fern Cottage was not possible at the time of resurvey (2004).
Materials: white painted rubble with some ashlar dressings, particularly to Glencairn. Grey slate roofs, stone stacks with clay cans. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows.
Boundary Walls: stone rubble boundary walls with semicircular copes to the road.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.