This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 22/11/1973


  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
  • National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 16915 81872
  • Coordinates216915, 681872


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

These six houses, originally identical, were built in c1828 by David Napier, who was largely responsible for opening up Kilmun, Strone and Blairmore as a resort by building a pier and running steamboat routes direct from Glasgow. The 'Tea Caddies' indicate the early 19th century development of Kilmun, being among the first houses built for the holiday traffic, and are very early examples of seaside development on the Clyde Coast. The group is an important addition to Kilmun, and has particular scenic value, especially when seen from across the Holy Loch. The houses are also important for their connection to Napier and the wider opening of the Clyde Estuary to tourists, as well as for their contribution to the streetscape at Kilmun.

3-bay, 3-storey, rectangular-plan houses, with a variety of later alterations (see below). Shallow-pitched piended slated roofs with ashlar stacks and clay cans. Predominantly painted rubble with sandstone dressings.

Anchorage: Large flat-roofed glazed porch to central entrance. Predominantly timber sash and case windows with some later plastic replacements. Some alterations have been carried out since the house was built, including the widening of the ground floor windows. The interior of Anchorage has retained its original layout and stone stair, but the house has been modernised.

Ardmun: Large flat-roofed glazed porch along the front elevation. A piended-roof square extension to the rear dates to the late 20th century. Sometime in the 20th century, the windows on the ground floor have been lowered to form French doors. Replacement windows (2005) on the front elevation. access to the interior of not obtained at the time of the resurvey (2004).

Fountain Villa: Later small flat-roofed glazed porch. The single-storey canted bay to the front elevation is a later addition. More recently, a single-storey piend-roofed extension has been built on to the NW elevation. 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Fountain Villa retains some internal features, such as a stone stair, timber windows and shutters.

Heathbank: Later lean-to shingle-roofed glazed porch. Few changes have taken place to the exterior of Heathbank, with the exception of window replacement. The shed to the rear has been demolished and replaced with a modern timber shed to the E. Modern (c.1960) timber windows throughout. On the interior, Heathbank retains some simple cornices and architraves and the original stone stair. The original pantry to the W at the rear has been removed to form a bigger kitchen.

Lochview: Later flat-roofed concrete porch to the central entrance. To the front are 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. To the rear the stair window is 16-pane timber sash and case. The interior of Lochview is perhaps the most intact of the six houses, with stone stair, timber windows and shutters and the boarded timber door to the rear. There is also a cast iron fireplace with tiled cheeks and hearth. However, the ceilings have been replaced throughout.

Woodburn: Flat-roofed glazed porch to the central entrance. To the left is a two-storey canted bay. Woodburn has been considerably altered over the years, with the addition of the two-storey bay, the formation of double windows on the front elevation and cement-harling. To the E is a small single-storey garage extension. Internally, the stone stair was removed and replaced in the 1930s. Cement-harled rubble with painted sandstone dressings. Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Woodburn has been quite modernised, with some features of c1930. In the stair window is stained glass of c1900.

Outbuildings, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates: the 'Tea Caddies' have steep terraced gardens to the road and shore and service access is by a narrow lane to the rear. The boundary walls are of rubble, with square-plan gatepiers and cast iron and wrought-iron gates. To the rear of the houses are a selection of single and 2-storey-outbuildings, both original and later.

Statement of Special Interest

David Napier (1790-1869) the celebrated marine engineer and a pioneer of deep-sea steam navigation, purchased a stretch of land along the Holy Loch and Loch Long shore from General Campbell of Monzie in 1828 and built an hotel, a pier and a number of villas, including this group of six. The original use of the villas is uncertain, but it is thought they may have been for short-term let to visitors. In 1829 Napier advertised the attractions of Kilmun, Including 'Substantial quay-side houses to let' (MacLehose 114). Napier is known to have sold off most of his Scottish interests in c 1837 ( Walker, 1992, 359).



Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); New Statistical Account (c1845); Maclehose (Pub.), David Napier, Engineer, 1790-1869, An Autobiographical Sketch with Notes, 1912; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, 2000, 359.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at