This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 20/07/1971


  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
  • National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 16592 82073
  • Coordinates216592, 682073


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Kilmun Parish Church, including the complex surrounding it, is an exceptional example of an ecclesiastical complex including a number of major periods of development. The site is nationally important and, as well as a fine 19th century church, contains the burial place for the Campbells of Argyll from the 15th to the 20th century and a good collection of post-medieval headstones.

Kilmun church is built on the site of a substantial older foundation. A church is recorded at the site in the 13th century but it appears that the tower now standing belongs to a collegiate church of 1442 built by Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochawe (now a Scheduled Ancient Monument). In 1688 the choir of the collegiate church was re-built to serve as a parish church.

In 1841 the bulk of the Collegiate church was demolished to make way for a new church by Thomas Burns, built to house the increasing number of summer visitors to the Holy Loch. The main body of the church is T-plan, with the nave extending N. At the head of the T is a small square tower with corner finials and a pierced stone parapet, over an advanced, gabled central bay . The church is lit by single lancets on the main S wall and by wider traceried lancets on the E and W gables. In 1898-9, the well-known church architect Peter McGregor Chalmers re-arranged the interior, forming an open choir in the place of the closed vestry on the S wall. Chalmers also introduced new arcades supporting the E and W galleries.

Interior Of Church: the interior of the church is substantially as designed by McGregor Chalmers, including intricately-carved chancel furniture and panelling. The church contains a number of good stained glass windows, much of it by Stephen Adam, including life of Christ scenes and a portrait of George Miller of Invereck as St Matthew. Adam's successor, Alfred Webster, designed a number of later windows, including a war memorial window in the N gable. An unusual feature is the hydraulically-powered organ, made in 1909 by Normand and Beard. It is one of only two water-powered examples known to still be in use (2012) in Scotland, the other being at St Mary's Episcopal Church, Dalkeith (see seperate listing). The flat ceiling is supported by decorative tudor-arched trusses supported on stone corbels. The walls are rendered with exposed sandstone dressings and panelled to dado height.

Halls: the halls, in the NW angle, were built in 1909-10, also by Chalmers. Piend-roofed, with mullioned and leaded windows.

Materials: snecked, squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar sandstone to the tower. Grey slate roof.

Argyll Mausoleum: the Argyll Mausoleum is situated at the NE corner of the modern church. The Mausoleum was built to the designs of James Lowrie in 1795-6, replacing a vault used by the Argyll family inside the Collegiate church. It remained in situ when the Collegiate church was demolished and the present church built. Originally, it had a slated pyramid roof, but this was replaced by a cast iron dome in 1891-3. As it stands, the mausoleum is on a square-plan with the pointed-arched entrance on the N elevation, flanked by two blind-traceried lancets and applied pilasters. The domed roof has rooflights and a smaller dome at the apex. The Argyll Campbells were buried in this mausoleum - the last being the 10th Duke in 1949. The interior of the mausoleum consists of two platforms on the side walls containing coffins and on the S wall a wide cusped arch over a niche containing the 15th century effigies of Duncan Campbell, the founder of the Collegiate church and his wife.

Douglas Of Glenfinart Mausoleum: built in 1888 to the NW of the church this is an octagonal red sandstone structure, with rock-cut ashlar walls, a studded timber door with a carved armorial panel above it and a stone-slabbed roof. The mausoleum contains the remains of General Sir John Douglas, commander during the Indian Mutiny.

Graveyard: the graveyard at Kilmun contains a number of interesting memorials, including later medieval tapered slabs and several high quality 17th and 18th century headstones and table-tombs carved with trade tools. In the SE corner is a small 'Watchhouse'. Latterly, the graveyard was extended twice, at first to the N uphill and later to the W, taking up some of the grounds of Old Kilmun House. A second small building, built on two levels, the purpose of which is unclear, but dating to the late 19th century, survives to the NE of the church. The walls are likely to date to 1818-19, when the churchyard was laid out. Immediately to the W of the church are square-plan gatepiers with Gothic capstones. A cast iron drinking fountain, complete with drinking cup also survives to the W of the church.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.



Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Gilles, V M and D C, Kilmun (St Munn's) Parish Church- A Brief History (Pamphlet) (2001); RCAHMS, Argyll; an Inventory of the Monuments: Vol 7; Mid Argyll and Cowal; Medieval and Later Monuments; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 133; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, (2000), 355; Buildings of Scotland Notes, NMRS;

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at