Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 02/10/1984
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 14344 85582
- Coordinates214344, 685582
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The North Lodge at Benmore was built c1874 in conjunction with considerable expansion and improvement of the estate after it was bought by James Duncan and is likely to be the work of architect David Thomson. The lodge, although relatively simple in design, reflects the design of much of the main house at Benmore. The elaborate wrought iron gates and railings are equally important elements.
The 1½-storey lodge, Baronial in detail, is roughly L-shaped, with two gables at right angles at the entrance. The gables, the principal feature of the building, are crow-stepped, with a stepped corbel-table framing the upper floor windows. Each also has a hood-moulded bipartite on the ground floor. The entrance elevation, parallel to the drive, has a gable to the right, a central door, and a bipartite window to the left with a crowstepped gablet above. The entrance is through elaborate wrought iron gates, with hand-gates to either side and tall railings on ashlar quadrant dwarf walls. Fixed to the railings is a small George V letter box.
The lodge is currently used as a shop for the Botanic Gardens and the interior has been altered to accommodate this.
Materials: squared rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, slate roof. Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows.
Statement of Special Interest
In 1870 the Benmore Estate was acquired by James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner. Duncan carried out many improvements to the estate, including extending the house and building a number of worker's cottages. This lodge belongs to the same period of improvement, circa 1874 and was built to serve a completely new entrance to the estate. Previously, the main entrance had been to the S, on the Glenmassan road where the Golden Gates now stand.
David Thomson (d1911) was a partner in the firm of Charles Wilson (1810-63) and may have carried out much of the work at Benmore in 1862, returning in 1874 to carry out work including the steading, lodge and extensions to the house.
Benmore estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Part of B-Group including Benmore House, the Steading, the Fernery, the Golden Gates, 'Puck's Hut', Walled garden and the cottages to the E of it (see separate listings).
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Forsyth, R, Memories of Dunoon and Cowal (1997); McLean, A, Chronicles of Cowal, Argyll, (2001); Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol 2, 1987; Walker, F.A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6;. Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4; Information courtesy of David Younger (2004).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.