Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

STRONE, ST COLUMBA'S CHURCH OF SCOTLAND INCLUDING HALLS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSReference: LB5080

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 20/07/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
  • National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 1926 8055
  • Coordinates219260, 680550

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Strone Church, early 20th century with mid-19th century sections, standing prominently on the Loch Long shore, is the work of Peter MacGregor Chalmers, one of the most prolific and well-known church-builders of the early 20th century in Scotland. The church, although relatively simple in form, contains a number of good features, including a mid-19th century tower remodelled by Chalmers and some excellent stained glass by the foremost ecclesiastical glaziers in the West of Scotland.

The first church was built in Strone in 1858-9. This appears to have been a gable-fronted building with a tower to the left and halls to the rear. Of this the 2-stage spired and battlemented tower and the halls (which were extended in the later 19th century) have survived. It is not clear why the existing church was insufficient but in 1907-8 MacGregor Chalmers was commissioned to build a new church. The tower was retained, but a new Romanesque entrance was formed in the base. The nave of the new church is to the rear of the tower, with an advanced gabled transept and a short S aisle. A rectangular chancel projects E. The windows to the original tower are pointed-arched while the 1908 windows are round-headed, cusped and rectangular. The materials from the old church appear to have been re-used on the exterior with Corrie sandstone on the interior.

The halls to the rear are simple - a plain rectangular structure parallel to the church, joined to the main body by a small link building.

Interior: the interior is relatively undecorated, with exposed squared rubble stonework. At the E is a wide round-headed chancel arch, with a single lancet in the chancel - the stained glass of Christ bearing the cross by Stephen Adam Jr.(1908) commemorates Hugh Highgate of Blairmore. In the W gable is a tall triple lancet, with stained glass of Christ entering Jerusalem (1925). Along the nave is a series of cusped lancets, including some stained glass - the best of which is a shepherd by George MacWhirter Webster, 1933. The aisle is separated from the nave by a three-bay arcade, with one circular and one octagonal pier. A moulded round-headed door leads S through the tower and another leads N into the halls. The roof is of arch-braced trusses, terminating in stone corbels with figurative carvings. The marble war memorial was taken from St Andrew's, Kilmun in 1937.

Materials: sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar spire. Slate roofs. Timber boarded double doors. Leaded windows.

Boundary Walls, Gatepiers: rubble boundary wall with Gothic sandstone gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Peter MacGregor Chalmers (1859-1922), a noted scholar of Medieval Architecture is principally known for his prolific output of high quality churches, of which he is thought to have designed 150, including St Margaret's Episcopal church, Great Western Road, Glasgow (from 1908) and St Anne's Parish Church, Edinburgh (1911-13) (both also listed). Many of these churches were in a Romanesque style, usually with tall towers. Chalmers is also notable for the restoration work he carried out, including at St.Andrew's, Paisley and Iona. Within Dunoon and Kilmun parish, Chalmers also recast the interior of Kilmun church (1898-9) and designed Kirn Parish Church (1906-7).

Stephen Adam Jr, who carried out some of the stained glass work was the son of Stephen Adam, and himself one of the foremost Scottish stained glass designers of the early 20th century.

Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Donnelly, M., Scotland's Stained Glass (1997); Gomme, A and Walker, D, Architecture of Glasgow (1987), 180; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) , 136; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 471; Buildings of Scotland Notes, NMRS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 28/05/2016 04:59