Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 14/03/2007
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 16229 80331
- Coordinates216229, 680331
Dated 1868. T-plan Gothic church with later hall extension forming rough L-plan. Distinctive cylindrical tower and hoodmoulded triple lancet window with trefoil windows below to principal (SW) gable elevation. Slaister pointed stone with tooled red sandstone dressings. Base course. Corner buttresses to SW elevation; shield to gablehead and finial to apex. Gabled porch recessed to right with segmental- arched doorway with 2-leaf timber boarded door. Cylindrical tower to re-entrant angle with 4 roundels set above moulded string course; 12-arch belfry ring and tall candle snuffer roof. Lean-to vestry adjoining NW elevation with trefoil headed windows and timber boarded door. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey Scottish slate; banded fishcale slating to tower. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: stained glass in windows to N and S walls, timber panelling to dado. Open-framed timber roof structure.
Statement of Special Interest
Sandbank Parish Church is a simple but well detailed Gothic building. It is highly distinctive for its tower which makes a strong contribution to the streetscape and may well be influenced by the early medieval at Brechin and Abernethy Cathedrals and the Celtic round towers of Ireland.
According to Groome's Gazetteer the church was built as a Chapel of Ease at the cost of £840 and was made quoad sacra in 1876. The stained glass windows were transferred here from the congregational church in 1936.
The shield in the SW gablehead reads 'ERECTED 1868'.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1897-8). F Groome, Gazetteer, Vol 6 p320. F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, (2000) p233. F Walker, North Clydesdale: An Architectural Guide, (1992).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.