This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - See notes
  • Date Added: 22/02/1971


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 11835 76714
  • Coordinates311835, 676714


William Burn, 1818. 2-storey U-plan, with further enclosed stable court. Tudor-Gothic mansion, earlier tower house adjoining, listed separately. Polished ashlar sandstone, rubble to rears. Base course; eaves course; crenellated parapet; circular section angle towers with arrowslits. Predominantly hood moulded windows.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay principal block flanked by angle towers; lower 6-bay wing adjoining to left. Broad Tudor-arched open porch with polygonal towers clasping angles; single window to left return; Tudor-arched doorway and flanking leaded windows; 2-leaf Gothic panelled doors and vestibule doors; 2 single windows at 1st floor above. Advanced 3-light window in advance bay to right, 2 windows at 1st floor above. Lower wing: 7-light canted window; traceried Tudor-arched window above with single windows in flanking bays to each floor; advanced 3-stage tower to left, with pointed-arch windows to 2nd and 3rd stages; bipartite and single windows at ground in remaining bays to outer left; Tudor-arched windows at 1st floor above. Single storey service wing linking to stable court.

E ELEVATION: 8-bay, near symmetrical Tudor-arched windows to 1st floor with advanced and gabled 2-bay, flanked by octagonal towers, with carved armorial crest set in gablehead. 3-stage rectangular plan to right; single windows in remaining bays.

N ELEVATION: 6-bay irregular disposition of single and bipartite windows; recessed wall with pointed arch doorways linking to earlier tower house, with lean to single storey building behind.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Variety of pitched, monopitched and piended graded grey slate roofs. Tall clustered polygonal ashlar flues to ridge and wallhead. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

STABLE COURT: William Burn, 1818. Single-storey U-plan, forming L-plan entrance forecourt with south front of mansion. Polished ashlar sandstone. Tudor arched gateway flanked by rounded towers at near-centre of E (Principal) elevation; panelled timber gate with decorative iron hinges, studs and handles. Crenellated frontages with angle pepperpots to E and S. Battered base course. Regular disposition of blind windows. Paired polygonal flues to ridges. Interior elevations: single storey and attic to E, roofless former hayloft and carriage houses to S, curtain wall to W, near-symmetrical 2-storey house, flanked by door with 3-pane fanlight, to service wing of mansion in NE reveal and panelled door with glazing door to left, to N. Tall Tudor carriage arch at NW corner. Timber sash and case windows. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: restored interior, adapted for part use as corporate entertaining venue. Rib vaulting in hall; 4-centred arches; foliated capitals and bosses. Gothic shutters; neo-Jacobean wainscotting to staircase, added by C H Greig in 1900; leaded and stained glass windows, with neo-Jacobean columns at 1st floor; coved and coffered ceiling with tooled bosses; Gothic panelling to doors in library, pilastered bookshelves; lining boards to gun room; panelling with dado rail in billiard room;

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with Blue Acre, Boat House, Brown Acre, Castleloch, Castle Grove, Dovecot, Dundas Castle Keep, Dundas Loch Bridge, Dundas Mains, Fountain Sundial, Ice House, Lilac Cottage, North Lodge, Rose Cottage, South Lodge and Walled Garden (see separate listings).

A drawing of Dundas Castle by David Allan (1793), shows the old castle next to the keep (listed separately).

The William Burn stable court was originally intended to have a clock tower over the entrance.



F Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND. VOL. II (1882), p412; J Small, MANSIONS AND CASTLES OF THE LOTHIANS. VOL. I (1883); C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), pp51, 59, 190-92, 432; J Fawcett, SEVEN VICTORIAN ARCHITECTS (1976), p12.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at