This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 07/03/1984


  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Parish: Clyne

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNC 89707 5498
  • Coordinates289707, 905498


Dated 1820 and 1896. Distillery complex of two builds,

all rubble with tooled dressings. Centre L-plan, 2-storey

range with kiln with pyramidal slated roof topped with

pagoda cupola vent, in south arm, with mill room, boiler

house and stillhouse in long south facing elevation, with

tall, later iron banded brick chimney abutting north elevation. Datestone with joint Stafford/Sutherland arms in east gable;

bellcote with gilded weather cock at east gable apex.

3 parallel, mainly single storey, ranges, to south, with long

elevations facing east/west; 2 ranges comprise bonded

warehouses, 3rd includes various stores and former 2-storey,

3-bay house, now converted to industrial use.

To east, range of 7 parallel single storey bonded warehouses

dated 1896, with long elevations facing north/south, each

warehouse becoming progressively shorter in length towards

the north, the roughly triangular site being restricted by

the Clynelish burn to NE, each gable end becoming more

recessed, and stepped along the edge of the burn. Ball

finialled gables; West Highland slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Founded in 1819 by Sutherland Estate and "erected" for

$750. Enlarged in 1896 by Ainslie and Co. Modern distillery to

south of original complex not included in listing.




(1820) pp.28, 29. Plate 18. John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL


About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at