Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 05/10/1971
- Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Parish: Blair Atholl
National Grid Reference
- NGRNN 91222 60912
- Coordinates291222, 760912
Possibly late 18th to early 19th century. Picturesque, cottage orné style single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage with flanking piended single storey wings. Originally part of Bonskeid Estate, with thatched roof and rounded eyelid dormerheads converted to timber gablets over roundheaded windows when altered to slate roof. Decoratively astragalled windows, rustic poles to small open porch. Roughly squared and coursed granite and sandstone rubble with roughly squared granite quoins and margins.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to SE comprising part-glazed timber door to centre, square-headed windows in flanking bays and 3 roundheaded windows above breaking eaves into timber-pedimented dormerheads. Lower flanking wings with later square-headed window to right and roundheaded window to returns at NE and SW.
Horizontal 8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, mostly with horns, roundheaded windows with decorative simple Y-traceried astragals. Grey Scottish slates, except to (slated) lower part of rear roof. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with polygonal cans. Plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: modernised. Some moulded cornices, cast iron horseshoe fireplaces with plain granite and timber surrounds, and 4-panelled timber doors.
Statement of Special Interest
Possibly dating from the late 18th to early 19th century, Coille Bhrochain Cottage is sited on raised ground now surrounded by mature trees. It would originally have commanded fine views over the River Garry. Appearing on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as Killyvrochan Cottage, it is a good example of estate architecture. Despite the loss of its thatched roof during the latter part of the 20th century it retains much of its picturesque charm. The distinctive glazing pattern is of particular note. The cottage is well-proportioned with good sized rooms and is thought to have been built as accommodation for visitors to Bonskeid House.
Alexander Stewart, heir of the Bonskeid Estate, retained a room at nearby Old Coillebhrochain, now ruinous, as Bonskeid House had been destroyed by fire earlier in the 18th century. Alexander worked as a doctor at Dunkeld and in 1796 leased the lands of Bonskeid to Lady Bath and her husband Sir James Pulteney. Around that time building began on stables and a coach house on the site of Bonskeid and Lady Bath is reported to have lived 'in a tent near Coillebhrochain till she unexpectedly died'. It is perhaps a reasonable assumption that the 'tent' may have been the thatched cottage orné, but no proof of this has been found during current (2007) research. The current Bonskeid House, designed by Andrew Heiton, dates from 1881.
The name Coillebhrochain translates from the Gaelic as 'wood of the brose', indicative of the legend that Robert the Bruce was given refuge here in 1306 after his defeat at the battle of Methven when he is said to have eaten Athol Brose.
List description revised June 2007.
1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1859-64). Colin Liddell Pitlochry Heritage of a Highland District (1993), p46. John Gifford The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross (2007), p236. www.plural.freeuk.com/bonskeid/history.html.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.