Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 19/06/1992
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 14003 85682
- Coordinates214003, 685682
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The Bayley Balfour Memorial hut was built in 1928 to commemorate the achievements of Sir Isaac Bayley Balfour. The hut is a unique building, the work of Robert Lorimer. Although it has lost its stone chimney and has been moved from its original location, the connection to Lorimer is significant.
Octagonal in plan, with a bell-cast shingle roof, multi-pane casement windows to 4 sides and a central glazed 2-leaf entrance door. The hut is built entirely of timber, with horizontal panelling to the sides. The interior is panelled with every type of timber grown on the Benmore estate. The figure of 'Puck' on the roof is by Phyllis M Bone.
The hut was initially built on a site in Puck's Glen, on the the W-facing slope of Strath Eachaig, (the octagonal foundation survives). Original photographs show the hut with a substantial stone chimney. It was moved to its present location in the walled garden at Benmore in 1968 to avoid vandalism. It appears that the hut was altered slightly to allow for the more formal setting and the absence of the chimney, as originally there was no window to the right of the door. The chimney remained in Puck's Glen for a number of years before being demolished. A photograph taken in c1930 shows a rubble fireplace with an inscription to Bayley Balfour above.
Statement of Special Interest
Benmore Estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Sir Isaac Bayley Balfour was Regius Keeper of the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh from 1890 to 1922 and helped to establish the Botanic Gardens at Benmore. The sculptor Phyllis M Bone (1894-1972) specialised in animal carvings and at the same time as this commission was working with Lorimer on carvings for the Scottish National War Memorial.
B-group with Benmore House, Fernery, Steading, North Lodge and Gates, the Golden Gates, Walled garden and the cottages to the E of it.
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Inglis' Guide to Dunoon and Environs (1883); Photograph c1930 in St.Andrew's University Library, Valentine Collection; Benmore Information Leaflet, c1960; Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol.2, 1987; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6; Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.