Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 19/06/1992
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 13767 85047
- Coordinates213767, 685047
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The Golden Gates at Benmore are an example of exceptional wrought iron work and work of this standard is rare in Scotland. Although the setting of the gates has been somewhat compromised by their isolation and the removal of the associated lodge, they are of notable design and craftsmanship.
The gates, of c.1871 are hung on pedimented marble piers topped with wrought iron lanterns. The elaborate decoration is rococo-style: foliate and floriate with central concentric circles, each bearing the initials JD. The handles are in the form of female mythical figures. The gates and lanterns are both painted gold.
Statement of Special Interest
In 1870 the Benmore Estate was acquired by James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner, who carried out many improvements to the estate. The main entrance to the estate was originally here, and the relatively simple single-storey lodge demolished c.1995 was probably that built by architect Baird of Glasgow in c.1850.
The gates are thought to have been either commissioned by Duncan in Paris or purchased by him there and altered to include his initials. They are also thought to have been awarded a prize in a Paris exhibition of 1871, before being brought to Benmore. There were, however, no great exhibitions in Paris between 1867 and 1878 and the gates may have been exhibited in a smaller exhibition.
Benmore Estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Part of B-Group including Benmore House, Steading, North Lodge and Gates, 'Puck's Hut', Fernery, Walled garden and the cottages to the E of it (see separate listings).
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c.1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Forsyth, R, Memories of Dunoon and Cowal (1997); McLean, A, Chronicles of Cowal, Argyll, (2001); Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol.2, 1987; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6;. Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4; Information courtesy of David Younger (2004).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.