Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 26/05/1993
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 19531 81743
- Coordinates219531, 681743
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The former ticket office, a small rectangular Swiss cottage style building with a decorative timber screen, was built c1873 to serve the steamer traffic to Blairmore Pier. The office makes a picturesque contribution to the collection of buildings at Blairmore Pier and is a rare surviving example of the style in the area.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43). A plan drawn for Campbell in 1857 (Smith, 1857) appears to show a different office, with a large verandah on the sea (E) side. In 1873 considerable improvements were carried out to the pier (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) and it is likely that this involved the construction of the present office. At present (2004) in poor condition, the small rectangular-plan office is of rubble with red sandstone dressings. To the S is a verandah with a pierced and arched timber screen and decorative wrought iron baluster panels, behind which is the square ticket window. To the N is a ruinous lean-to, probably built later as toilets. To the E and the W were small gabled canopies, but only that to the W has survived. On the E elevation there were two doors, but one was later blocked up to form a window.
Materials: whin and schist rubble with red sandstone dressings. Decorative timber screens and posts, wrought iron railings. Graded grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, bracketted to verandah.
Statement of Special Interest
The pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore. Regular services to the pier ceased in 1971.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Pier and Hall and Blairmore Place (see separate listings).
In November 2004 consent was granted for the extension and alteration of the building to form a dwelling house.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Smith, G, Plan of Portinstuck Pier, Blairmore (1857), Register House Plan 2759; McCrorie, I and Monteith, J, Clyde Piers- A Pictorial Record (1982); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135-6; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Photographs, NMRS.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.