This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 26/06/1986


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Holywood

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 93749 79935
  • Coordinates293749, 579935


Walter Newall of Dumfries architect, circa 1830. Single

storey farmhouse, roughly U-plan and built around tiny court,

detached U-plan steading to west. All whitewashed rubble with

painted rusticated quoins, house also has painted chamfered

margins. FARMHOUSE: east elevation: 5 regular bays with

(shed) door at right; 2-bay south elevation; main door in

court, at west - latter partly enclosed by screen wall (shed

extends north); sash windows; corniced ridge stacks; piended

roof. STEADING: tall gabled barn at north with cartshed open

to court, apsidal housemill abuts west gable; west and south

ranges are lower, with piended roofs, single doorway on south

wall of latter range. All roofed with graded slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Executed work differs from illustrations published by Loudon;

a degree of license was used when publishing these designs.

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNTS p.562 states that Francis Maxwell

purchased Gribton estate in 1827 and began improvements in





ARCHITECTURE, 1839. pp 459-460

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at