Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 12/01/1971
- Local Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Planning Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Parish: Crawford
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 88616 14808
- Coordinates288616, 614808
Possibly by William Adam. Early classical piend-roofed 2-storey 3-bay house built 1734-6; originally free-standing, flanking near symmetrical jambs added with narrow linking bays; south jamb built 1736-7, north jamb added 1738-40 (slightly larger than south, with prominent pointed roof, and containing very grand room, now sitting room); pair parallel ranges flanking courtyard to west, range to north now a cottage, that to south (formerly stables) now roofless.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: rendered as ashlar and painted, with contrasting margins (sash windows with 19th century glazing); central gabled timber porch to west; tall ashlar end stacks with moulded cornices. Entrance hall runs left from door and links with north jamb; curving timber stair facing door may be original. Timber-panelled room at north is lit from garden; rooms at south are full depth of house. Panelled doors, some with lugged architraves.
NORTH JAMB: lit by key-stoned Venetian in east (garden) elevation; cube-shaped room, with domical vault above deep cornice; fireplace on north wall (stack similar to those of house), chimney piece replaced, but original pedimented overmantel survives; pair doors on south wall, opposite.
Modern porch to garden in north linking bay; kitchen in south jamb. Enclosed by 18th century rubble-built garden walls (later alterations / repairs evident).
Statement of Special Interest
Built for James Stirling, manager of the Earl of Hopetoun's mines at Leadhills. Formerly known as "Mansion House". William Adam was closely associated with the Hopetoun family, and his name appears on one building account for providing timber. The gardens are carefully laid out, and contain probable ice house, ruins of small chapel, viewing platform above village.
Information from owner including references from Hopetoun archive.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.