This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ROSS PRIORYReference: LB7625

Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/05/1971


  • Local Authority: West Dunbartonshire
  • Planning Authority: West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish: Kilmaronock
  • National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 41461 87566
  • Coordinates241461, 687566


J Gillespie Graham, 1810-1816, incorporating earlier fabric of 1695 and 18th century. 2-storey over basement, 7-bay symmetrical, rectangular- plan gothick mansion. Honey-coloured sandstone ashlar; ashlar margins and dressings. Narrow, octagonal corner towers; tall crocketted pinnacles. Piereced hexagonal-shaped balustrade. Pointed arch, cusped- headed windows; tall principal floor windows. Shallow base course; band course between basement and upper floors.

E (MAIN) ELEVATION: broad, sweeping perron stair to entrance at centre; balustrade of pointed arch arcade with newels of clustered shafts and depressed cap. Tripartite pointed arch portico-in-antis at centre, gabletted, croketted pier divisions; pierced, cusped blind baluatrade above; inner 2-leaf entrance door with gothic Y-tracery glazing; flanking windows. Quadripartite window of narrow lancets at centre 1st floor; flanking gabletted piers, crockets; criss-cross cusped pierced balustrade parapet. 3 flanking bays symmetrically disposed, windows disposed bipartite, tripartite, bipartite, plain Y-tracery pointed arch windows at basement, trefoil-headed windows within pointed arch at principal floor; cusp-headed windows at upper floor. Octagonal corner towers, blind arrowslits; balustrade.

N ELEVATION: 2 broad bays; gently bowed full-height bay to outer left, flanking towers; 3 sets of bipartites. Broad bay to outer right, tripartite windows at each floor.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: plain rendered elevation with red sandstone margins and dressings. 3-storey, 6-bay block to left with 2-bay lower storey block to right. 2 bays at centre slightly advanced, door at centre, half-glazed, flanking windows; 2 bays flanking, windows at 1st floor left gothick glazing; 12-pane sash and case windows. Lower block to outer right, 4-pane sash and case windows.

S ELEVATION: red sandstone rubble lower block to left; rendered main body of house with red sandstone margins and dressings; ashlar block to outer right, tripartite windows.

4-pane, 8-pane and 12-pane sash and case windows; grey slate roof, lead flashings. Broad, pedestal ridge stack with off-set tall ashlar cans.

INTERIOR: vestibule with delicate decorative plasterwork, large ceiling rosette; ribs carried into squinches supported on mask corbels. Deep-set doors, dark wood panelled. Cantilevered stone stair with delicate cast-iron balusters, wooden rail; stair hall lit by oval lantern. W dining room with geometric plasterwork on ceiling and acanthus-leaf cornice; marble fireplace.

WALLED GARDEN: to SW of house. Square-plan garden area, early 20th century remodelling of earlier garden. Rubble wall with ashlar slab coping; rubble clairvoyee openings along walks.

Statement of Special Interest

The site was the original seat of the Buchanans of Ross from about the 14th century. A house was built in 1695, and it is this house which forms some of the fabric of the present priory. The wings were removed and the house was enlarged to the N and E. Sir Walter Scott fequented the house in 1817 while writing ROB ROY. Stylistically it should be compared with buildings such as Crawford Priory (David Hamilton, 1809, James Gillespie Graham, 1811-13) and Newbyth (Archibald Elliot, 1817). The house is now a club owned by Strathclyde University. The house was grant-aided and substantial repair and stone replacement has taken place. Ross Lodge, stables and the Buchanan Burial ground are listed separately.




About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at