Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Inveravon
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 17847 36545
- Coordinates317847, 836545
Dated variously 1546 to 1850. Castellated mansion of varying
builds and heights with 1546 Z-plan tower house as core. All
harled with tooled and polished ashlar and granite dressings
Original entrance to castle from N flanked by 2 18th century
wings (1718 and later); re-cast to S in 1850 by Thomas
Mackenzie of Elgin. Imposing doorpiece in base of S tower
decorated with strapwork, text, armorial and monogram, dated
1546 and 1850. Further additions and re-modelling in 1850
including E wing and service court with arched E entrance.
Corbelled square cap houses to original tower house, slender
stair turrets within re-entrant angles; 19th century gabled
dormers with decorative detailing and monograms; bartizans
with slated conical roofs and apex finials. Mainly 12-pane
glazing; coped wallhead and ridge stacks; Banffshire slate
INTERIOR: vaulted entrance hall re-modelled 1850; richly
decorated ribs spring from central column; painted ashlar
baronial chimneypiece. Wide oak staircase opens off hall,
with turned and carved balusters. Further turnpike staircase
in 1602 tower.
Former 1st floor hall entirely re-decorated in 1850 in
consciously historicist manner, with panelled walls, doors and
window shutters; nail-head detailing to window embrasures and doorpieces; ornate strapwork and pendant plaster ceiling;
marble chimneypiece with flanking caryatids, coat of arms and
monogram. Panelled library with carved chimneypiece with
Statement of Special Interest
Z-plan tower house probably built by John Grant and his wife
Barbara Gordon. Ballindalloch remained property of Grant
family until death of General William Grant in 1806, when
estate passed to George MacPherson of Invereshie, later Sir
George MacPherson-Grant. 2nd Baronet, Sir John, commissioned
Thomas Mackenzie to alter and remodel castle in 1850.
Various re-set datestones outside and inside castle.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 48-51.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND BARONIAL ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTLAND VI, (1892), pp. 61-3. Further information and
plans by courtesy of the present owner.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.