Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- 27, 28
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Inveravon
- National Park: Cairngorms
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 24665 19470
- Coordinates324665, 819470
SEMINARY: 1767. 2-storey, irregular W facing 4-bay house with
single storey cottage projecting front right (S) and ruinous
building similarly sited at N forming U-plan court.
Off-centre entrance with plank door furnished with local
wrought-iron handle; flanking buttresses.
Irregular fenestration with varied glazing; ridge and end
stacks; Tomintoul slate roof.
INTERIOR: empty; fielded panelled doors and box beds survive;
stone flagged floors.
COTTAGE: late 18th century, single storey harl pointed rubble
cottage; 3-bay S facing front with centre entrance masked by
later lean-to porch with side entrance. 2-bay extension at E
gable; 4-pane glazing; end stacks; corrugated asbestos roof.
Statement of Special Interest
RC Seminary sited on W of present building in 1717; moved to
present site 1767. Seminary transferred to Aquhorties 1799,
then to Blairs 1829 (both Aberdeenshire). 'College of Scalan'
founded by Bishop James Gordon. Six priests ordained, others
received training. Bishop George Hay consecrated at Scalan
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
Abbreviated history and plans within former Seminary. Victory
Gaffney, TOMINTOUL, ITS GLENS AND ITS PEOPLE (1970), p. 45.
H Dunnet, INVERA'AN; A STRATHSPEY PARISH (1919), p. 115.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.