Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 09/11/1987
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Inveravon
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 16873 36793
- Coordinates316873, 836793
G McFarlane, Engineer, Dundee, 1863. Single span lattice-girder rivetted iron bridge with short plate-girder access span at each end with ornamental cast-iron handrail. Bullfaced rubble abutments and piers. Overall length approximately 250 feet.
Statement of Special Interest
Ballindalloch Railway Bridge is good example of a mid 19th century single span iron bridge. The bridge is a significant feature in the landscape with distinctive wrought-iron lattice girders, constructed of doubled hexagonal plate latticed sections.
The bridge was constructed as part of the Strathspey Railway, which ran from Boat of Garten to Dufftown, and later became part of the Great North of Scotland Railway. As well as being a passenger line, this railway transported large volumes of whisky distilled throughout the Strathspey area. The railway line was closed and dismantled in 1960 as part of national cuts to the railway network. A timber deck has been added so that the bridge can be used by walkers and cyclists as part of the Speyside Way route. The bridge crosses the River Spey which forms a boundary with Knockando Parish.
Bridge previously a Scheduled Monument. Removed from Schedule on 16 February 2006.
Evident on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1869-70, published 1874). J Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands (1977), p234. M Smith (1994) British Railway Bridges and Viaducts (1994) p87. R Paxton and J Shipway, Civil Engineering Heritage: Scotland Highlands and Islands (2007) pp135-136. RCAHMS, Canmore ID 16004.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.