This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 25/04/1989


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Kinloss

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 9512 61682
  • Coordinates309512, 861682


Mid and later 19th century but probably incorporating earlier

core. Long rectangular 2-storey cornmill on sloping site

with long elevations E and W and with approach ramp at S

gable giving access to loft. Harl pointed rubble, tooled

rubble dressings. Overshot millwheel at E elevation served by

raised lade. Various doorways and windows in long W elevation

and small single storey lean-to extension. Tall octagonal

ridge kiln vent; slate roof.

INTERIOR: all machinery complete and in reasonable working

order; 2 sets of millstones, 1 pair dating from circa 1898.

Statement of Special Interest

A mill is indicated at East Grange in circa 1590 on map drawn

by Rev Timothy Pont; there may have been an even earlier one

serving the medieval Cistercian Abbey at Kinloss, East Grange

then being part of the abbey lands. The present building may

incorporate fabric of the mill known to have been standing

in 1746. East Grange mill ceased full-time working in 1975-6

due to the retirement of the miller but continues in partial

farm use for bruising cattle feed.



David Milne, 'The East Grange Mill - a Note on its Primary

Machinery', MORAY FIELD CLUB BULLETIN 4 (1976), pp.14-17.



About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at