Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Forres
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 3237 60574
- Coordinates303237, 860574
1818. On earlier site. Symmetrical 2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay house. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dresings and margins. Wide, slightly advanced open-pedimented centre bay, the base cornice of the pediment supported by paired giant pilasters with stylised foliated capitals: oculus in centre of tympanum. Centre entrance reached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised basement, with decorative cast-iron balustrade. Tripartite doorpiece with panelled pilasters, those flanking door with stylised foliated capitals, continuous entablature breaking forward over door; Gothic glazing to upper panes of side lights, keystoned, Gothic traceried fanlight above. centre 1st floor keystoned Venetian window with reeded Corinthian pilasters and blocked cill, decorative tracery to centre light. Moulded window surrounds to front ground and 1st floor fenestration; regular window openings in 3-bay return gables; 6-pane glazing to raised basement, 12-pane elsewhere with decorative glazing to centre bay fenestration. Ashlar quoins; band course above raised basement. Deep eaves band with eaves cornice and blocking course; urns crown pediment; end corniced wallhead stacks; piended, platformed slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall leading to stairhall with cantilevered staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. DRAWING ROOM: decorative plaster ceiling cornice and central rose; beaded panelled dado with reeded detailing; beaded panelling to window shutters and doors. White marble chinmeypiece.
DINING ROOM: similar decorative detailing to drawing room.
1ST FLOOR: some alteration to front 1st floor rooms and landing.
Statement of Special Interest
Invererne was formerly called Tannachy, belonging to the
Tulloch family from 16th to 18th centuries, sold in 1772
to Alexander Urquhart of Maryland, USA. It was bought in
1817 by General William Grant who built the present
mansion; after his death in 1832 the estate was sold to
Colonel Peter Grant who married Mary Anne Peterkin of
Grange, taking the name Grant Peterkin. The name of the
property was changed from Tannachy to Invererne by 1834.
Change of Category B to a, 25.4.89.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 98-100.
John G Dunbar, THE HISTORIC ACHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1966)
p. 124. Grant of Tannachy Papers, Moray District Record
Office, ZBFo ZT
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.