James Burnet of Ewesbank, Langholm, architect. Dated 1867. Rectangular-plan 5-bay Gothic church. Snecked and squared rubble
with contrasting ashlar dressings. Pointed-headed openings: all hood-moulded except at W. Gabled porch at N end of E wall,
recessed 2-leaf door with columned jambs; 3-light window with
columned jambs and mullions below cusped openings on either main
gable, S window below relieving arch and gabled apex belfry
(other gables all cross-finialed): continuous string at cill
level, buttresses to bays and at angles: saw-toothed skews; all
roofed with graded slates. Vestry on W wall. Ungalleried
interior. Churchyard enclosed by rubble built walls, gate and
spiked cast-iron railings at W on low coping. 17th-20th century
stone monuments and site of St Cuthbert's Church; Tuscan Malcolm
family tomb chest circa 1803; panelled and urn-finialed Laurie
monument circa 1814.
1652 bell signed Jacobus Monteith mounted on tree to E of church.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.