This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 04/11/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Girthon

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 59982 54946
  • Coordinates259982, 554946


Robert Mylne, architect, for James Murray of Broughton,

1763-5. Substantial, classically detailed country house.

Flanking wings raised and linking corridors added, Thomas

Boyd 1795. Extensive alterations and remodelling of interior,

addition of porch, 1833-7, J B Papworth. Grounds landscaped

by James Ramsay, late 18th-century Mid 20th-century extensive

and unsympathetic additions to flanking wings during

conversion to hotel.

Symmetrical layout, central 6-bay, pedimented, 3-storey

centre block linked by banded masonry corridor wings to

2-storey pavilions, further modern additions, especially to

left side. All built over deep basement. Polished granite

masonry with red sandstone architraves. Channelled to ground,

band course over ground.

CENTRAL BLOCK: 3-storey with 6 bays unusually arranged

1-2-2-1 with central 4 bays advanced under pediment with

oculus. To ground, projecting massive granite portico with

monolithic Doric columns supporting plain entablature,

pilastered porch, massive panelled doors. All windows single

light, red sandstone margins, sash and case with 12-pane

glazing, 2nd floor windows with 6-pane glazing. Heavy eaves

cornice, plain parapet. Tall corniced stacks, piend and

platform roof.

REAR ELEVATION: 3-bay with central 3-window bowed bay. Bowed

bay contains 2 storeys only, giving large formal rooms. 4-bay


PAVILIONS AND COMMUNICATING WINGS: 3-bay, 2-storey wings link

main house to 5-bay, 2-storey pavilions. Pavilions and upper

floor of wings have bays defined by pilasters, heavy cornice

over ground, balustraded parapet to pavilions. 5-bay flanks

to pavilions similarly treated.

REAR ELEVATION: both the corridor wings have suffered

incongruous alterations, that to left with full-height glazed

front, that to right with flat roofed terrace. The pavilions

retain more of their original appearance being lesser

versions of the main block. 5-bay with central 3-window bowed

bay, all windows sash and case with multi-pane glazing.

Piended slate roof, tall corniced stacks.

Flanking and recessed from the pavilions are large modern

blocks giving bedroom accommodation.

INTERIOR: Mostly dating from Papworth's 1837 alterations.

Elaborate marble hall with deeply coffered ceiling. Elaborate

plaster cornice work to main public rooms. Dining room with

fruit and flower cornice; bow-ended drawingroom with coved

ceiling, elaborate carved timber or marble chimneypieces.

Statement of Special Interest





About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at