This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Johnstone

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 10024 91343
  • Coordinates310024, 591343


1733 church remodelled and enlarged 1819 (dated) by Andrew

Burnet, mason; further alterations and additions by James

Barbour, 1881; enclosed by churchyard.

Church: rubble-built; rusticated quoins, keystoned and

round-arched openings (all altered or constructed in 19th

century) and eaves course and cornice all ashlar. Church

originally rectangular-plan with yellow ashlar quoins and

splayed base course (later dressings mostly red ashlar);

long S wall now 2 bays; additions full-width of N wall in 2

stages, the lesser (former 18th century aisle) built first

and now demolished (some rusticated quoins survive below

session room stair and on 1819 jamb); second (probably 1819)

addition (jamb, forming L-plan church) extends W elevation to

3 bays with central door now a window with dated arch re-set

(?by Barbour). Pyramidal-roofed square full-height addition

(also 1819) adjoins at NE and has basket-arched N-facing

hearse-house at ground, session house above and good birdcage

belfry (present bell 1917) over E wallhead: flat-roofed low

porch and vestry (?all by Barbour) fill SE re-entrant angle:

other roofs piended and slated.

Interior by Barbour, roughly following 1819 arrangement;

(original woodwork in session house addition); low hexagonal

pulpit in SW re-entrant angle: gallery at E with panelled

front supported on 2 cast-iron columns is now enclosed

forming upper room: bell in vestibule said to be from

Lochwood Tower.

Churchyard: quadrangular enclosure with ashlar-coped

rubble-built walls; gate with rusticated square piers at

either end of E wall. Mostly 18th and 19th century stone

monuments, some large monuments with classical details.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. SRO NRA(S) 888 p.149

includes papers concerning repairs to (previous) church at

Johnstone, 1729.



SRO RHP 7013 (1818 plan and elevations), RHP 7015-6 (plans by

Barbour, 1881), HR4; OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, vol IV p.221.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at