This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Johnstone

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 9907 91238
  • Coordinates309907, 591238


Several building phases incorporating 1735 manse; enlarged

1795 and 1809 forming L-plan house with 3-bay S and W

elevations, stair turret in re-entrant angle. 2 storeys.

Coursed rubble with ashlar margins, dressings and rusticated

quoins; all whitewashed. Single storey outbuildings. S

elevation: ground floor openings altered circa 1840 with

enlarged windows, recessed doorway with doric columns in

antis, all hoodmoulded; margined 1st floor windows linked to

eaves band. W elevation has narrow central doorway (modern

doorcase). Sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing; main

cornice; end and axial stacks; roof gabled at E, otherwise

piended, graded slates throughout. Tall narrow lean-to to

rear may have accommodated a privy: outbuilding adjoins

latter; detached L-plan range of outbuildings to N altered by

James Barbour 1878.

Interior: much altered; fine mid 18th century chimney piece,

said to be re-used from a house in Dumfries, in E ground

floor room. Square ashlar gatepiers to W (also by Barbour,

1878) with pyramidal caps and linked to ashlar-coped garden


Statement of Special Interest





About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at