Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

AUCHEN CASTLE HOTEL AND GARDEN TERRACE STEPS BALUSTRADESReference: LB9889

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 22/02/1988

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Kirkpatrick-Juxta

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 6249 4707
  • Coordinates306249, 604707

Description

Part dated 1869 (on some rainwater heads), but nucleus

probably circa 1840: alterations late in 19th century. Large asymmetrical country house, now a hotel. 2 storeys with

attics and basements. Stugged yellow coursers with polished

dressings; advanced/recessed bays; some windows canted; some

projecting mullioned windows at ground; sash windows, mostly small-paned; slated asymmetrical roofs with projecting

bracketted eaves. 2 balustraded towers rise above main roof

level, the taller (nearest S) an Italianate companile, that

at NE corner is circular with leaded bell-cast turret and cap

house. Long W entrance elevation has centre recessed behind

colonnade of former conservatory which links pair outer

gables at either end (columned porch near S); S (approach)

elevation also long and asymmetrical with outer gables; small

bellcote over wallhead. Corniced stacks. Small service court

to rear (N), and canted bay with tall facetted roof.

Interior: some elaborate ornament; main stair with

wrought-iron balustrade; decorative cornice plasterwork;

panelled doors in architraves.

Garden terrace balustrades and steps to S and to E of house

all ashlar built; balustrades are pierced and have geometric

decoration; panelled and corniced squat piers.

Statement of Special Interest

References

Bibliography

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 06/05/2016 08:29