Alexander Stevens architect of L-plan mansion circa 1786;
wide centre-bowed terrace to E and superimposed colonnades,
also presumably by Stevens (?circa 1790), latter perhaps a
design modification before original building scheme was
completed; new S front by William Burn 1830-34, filling
re-entrant angle. Low service court at NE. Castellated
mansion dramatically sited above valley and garden terraces.
2/3 storeys with basement. Built mostly of coursed red
ashlar; roofs slated, and mostly concealed by parapets.
Stevens' work in Robert Adam's castellated style with tiny
bartizans and machicolated and crenellated parapets;
additions fairly sympathetic but with cross-windows.
Original house: mainly 2 storeys, 3-storey centres to 3
elevations with parapets linked at roof platform. 7-bay N
elevation with round-headed ground floor openings, columned
porch (cf. colonnade detailing) in shallow advanced centre;
continuous band at impost level. 3-bay W flank rubble-built
with tripartites, Burlington windows at ground.
(Principal) E elevation: pyramidal composition of 4 recessed
and diminishing stages with 3-storey bowed centre forming
apex; segmental-arched and balustraded deep, wide terrace at
basement level extends beyond house either side, colonnades -
also balustraded - full width of house at ground, and
clasping bow at 1st floor.
S elevation (by Burn): 3-storey massive square tower left has
recessed inner bay, round-arcched main entrance with oriel
above and deep corbelling; flank of original house is
recessed right and altered by Burn, with canted window and
castellated gable head. Good interior.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.