This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Kirkpatrick-Juxta

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 7754 2830
  • Coordinates307754, 602830


Thomas Telford. Built 1821. Coaching inn, with stable

courtyard to rear (W) below road level.

INN: 2 storeys, irregular U-plan with symmetrical 5-bay E

front; built on slope with basement to courtyard. Coursed and

partly cherry-caulked squareed whin rubble with contrasting

painted ashlar margins and long and short worked dressings.

E elevation: central doorway, 2 baseless Tuscan columns in

antis supporting entablature; blind tripartite above;

otherwise single windows, sashes, with 12-pane glazing

pattern, corniced and aproned at ground with margins linked

to base course (aprons continued on 3-bay flanks - wider N

flank with tripartites to inner bay). Eaves course, cornice

and blocking course continued over all elevations (blocking

course raised centrally over main door). Symmetrically placed

stacks (in pairs linked by arches). Piended slate roof with

leaded platform. Round-headed W-facing stair window between

rear wings.

INTERIOR: hallways with arched openings; cantilevered stone

stair with cast-iron balustrade; vestibule with

Tuscan-columned screens; reception with ?key-safe; moulded

cornice plasterwork; vaulted cellar in basement and cast iron

ovens in kitchen.

STABLES: 2 storeys, upper openings to lofts, whitewashed whin

rubble and ashlar dressings. Originally 2 adjoining ranges

about court; S end of courtyard closed by plain mid 19th

century skewed range. Wide depressed-arched pend in N range;

5-bay W range has 3-bay carriage house with tall

square-headed openings, narrow pend (to midden) with

depressed archway on W wall; full-height (later) wing returns

W from S end. All roofed with graded slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly Beattock Inn; built at Government expense, in association with the Glasgow/Carlisle road. GD 253/167/9 No 4 requests £1800 or £2000 for the building of an inn at Beattock 'to a plan given by Mr Telford'. Continuous references to Telford in other correspondence at the NAS indicates that he was directly involved with the building of the inn. Total cost of building $4520:2:10. Change of Category B to A 22.2.88



in the National Archives including GD253/167/9 (No 4, letter dated 24 Feb 1820), GD253/167/21 and GD253/92.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at