Rectangular-plan church built probably first quarter 18th
century, perhaps incorporating earlier fabric; N jamb added
1763 (dated) forming T-plan. Vestry and porch added to W
gable 1858, George Schoular mason; renovated 1871 (?porches
on remaining gables added then), - Crombie of Dumfries
architect. Mainly harled; margins, porches and belfry all red
ashlar. Key-stoned basket-arched windows all 1763, inner
windows on long S elevation (flanking pulpit) heightened by
Crombie, windows to other elevations with cills lowered some
12" perhaps in 1st half of 19th century. Body of church is
fairly long and thick-walled. Open W porch has shouldered
doorway; birdcage belfry above (?by Crombie). Straight skews
with moulded skewputts; cross finial at W. All roofs covered
with graded slates.
Interior: good artisan monument dated 1757 with classical
ornament, on jamb E wall; pulpit has panelled front.
Churchyard enclosed mainly by iron fence, gate at NE, square
red ashlar corniced gatepiers with pyramidal caps; steps
alongside. Some good 17th-19th century headstones; Shaw
enclosure against church E wall.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. OSA gives 1764 as
date of building. E-W orientation of body of church may
indicate re-use of pre-Reformation fabric, but harling
prevents further analysis.
Change of Category B to A 22.2.88
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.