Scheduled Monument You can download copies of legal documents. These are the documents that must be used to determine what is scheduled. Rait,old parish churchReference: SM5613 Status: Designated Jump To: Documents Summary Description Statement References About Documents Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions. Print this record ...or download... Legal Document Summary Information Category: N/A Date Added: 22/02/1993 Type: Ecclesiastical: church Location Local Authority: Perth And Kinross Parish: Kilspindie National Grid Reference NGRNO 227 268 Coordinates322700, 726800 Description The monument consists of the remains of the pre-Reformation parish church of Rait. A church was recorded as an independant parsonage in 1274 and confirmed c.1395 to the uses of Scone by Walter, Bishop of St Andrews.The church was abandoned in the early part of the 17th century when the parish of Rait was united with that of Kilspindie. The present ruin, which is likely to overlie the original 13th-century foundation, is situated in a fenced-off graveyard. It is rectangular-plan, measuring 20m E-W by 6.4m N-S over walls 0.8m thick. The masonry is random coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings bonded with lime mortar.The E gable survives to its full height. The W gable is reduced to 1.5m and the N and S walls are fairly intact and stand to a maximum height of 2.5m. There is a square-headed entrance with chamfered jambs in the S wall near the W end. A moulded jamb near the E end may indicate the position of a second door. The E gable has an upper level window, the character of which is obscured by ivy and a square-headed lower level window with deeply splayed inner jambs.On either side of the entrance are square-headed windows with chamfered dressings. The W is grooved for glazing and the E one is incomplete. The area to be scheduled is rectangular, extending 2m from the exterior walls of the church and measuring a maximum of 24m E-W by 10.4m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map. Statement of National Importance The monument is of national importance because it is an example of a simple church of pre-Reformation date which shares characteristics with a large group of religious buildings designed primarily for lay use. As such it provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence through excavation and analysis which may contribute to our knowledge of the parish system, church design and layout, ecclesiastical history and material culture during the period of its construction and use. References Bibliography RCAHMS records the monument as NO22NW 3. About Designations Scheduled Monuments We compile, maintain and publish a Schedule (a list) of monuments of national importance under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. Scheduling is the process of adding monuments to this list and affording them statutory protection. The aim of scheduling is to preserve sites and monuments as far as possible in the form in which they have come down to us today. Once a monument is scheduled, the prior written consent of ourselves is required for most works including repairs. The information provided gives an indication of the cultural significance of a scheduled monument. The information is current to the date of designation or when last amended. This record is not intended to be a definitive account or a complete description of the monument(s) and the format of records has changed over time. Earlier, un-amended records will usually be brief and some information will not have been recorded. Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/heritage.