The monument consists of a defensible house of staggered L-shaped plan and of largely domestic appearance, the initial construction of which probably dates from around the time of a royal grant of the lands to Andrew Logan of Easter Granton in 1598. It continued in occupation into the eighteenth century, by which time it was in the possession of a branch of the Bruce family.
The house, which is built of coursed rubble, rises through three principal storeys; there was presumably also a garret within the roof space, which was set within crow-stepped gables. It was entered at the base of a spacious stair turret in the re-entrant angle between the main block and a salient chamber wing. The main block is aligned from east to west, with the chamber wing at its south-western angle. The latter projects to the west of the main block, and to its rear, in the re-entrant angle with the main block, is a small projection for service accommodation and closets.
The ground floor, which was barrel-vaulted, contained a kitchen and storerooms. The hall, a servery area and the principle chamber occupied the first floor; the hall was evidently secondarily subdivided, with a corbelled stair off the north flank giving access to the chambers in the second floor and garret. There was a smaller chamber at the head of the stair turret, accessed from a corbelled-out stair. The principal rooms are well supplied with fireplaces and latrines.
It is likely that the house was once associated with ranges of ancillary buildings within one or more associated courtyards, and there would almost certainly have been enclosed gardens. Although little trace now remains of these courtyards and gardens, other than possibly in the layout of some of the existing field divisions around the tower, the area protected by scheduling is being extended to cover those believed to have been in the immediate vicinity of the tower.
The area to be scheduled is an irregular rectangle on plan, with maximum dimensions of 42m from east to west and 42m from north to south.
RCAHMS records the monument as NO50NW 1.
REGISTER OF THE GREAT SEAL Vol. 6, No. 720, 235.
MacGibbon D and Ross T 1887, THE CASTELLEATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol. 2, Edinburgh, 562-3.
RCAHMS 1933, ELEVENTH REPORT WITH INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF FIFE, KINROSS, AND CLACKMANNAN, Edinburgh: HMSO, 128-9.
Gifford J 1988, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, London, 346.
We compile, maintain and publish a Schedule (a list) of monuments of national importance under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. Scheduling is the process of adding monuments to this list and affording them statutory protection. The aim of scheduling is to preserve sites and monuments as far as possible in the form in which they have come down to us today. Once a monument is scheduled, the prior written consent of ourselves is required for most works including repairs.
The information provided gives an indication of the cultural significance of a scheduled monument. The information is current to the date of designation or when last amended. This record is not intended to be a definitive account or a complete description of the monument(s) and the format of records has changed over time. Earlier, un-amended records will usually be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/heritage.