The monument comprises the remains of a castle of 16th-century date. It is in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland and is being re-scheduled to clarify the extent of the protected area.
The monument lies about 800m to the WNW of Pierowall, at around 25m OD. It comprises Noltland Castle, a Z-plan castle constructed by Sir Gilbert Balfour from 1560 onwards. The castle, now roofless, consists of an oblong main building measuring about 27m E-W by about 11m transversely and containing a hall and chamber above a vaulted kitchen and cellarage. Square towers project from the SW and NE corners of the main building.
The SW tower measures about 9m square and the NE tower about 8m. Although the main building of the castle was designed to have 3 upper storeys, only the NE tower and the adjoining chamber block of the main building appear ever to have been ever completed. These are finished with corbelled parapets and cylindrical turrets, within which rise the crow-stepped gables of the high-pitched roofs. The main building has 71 gun-loops, arranged in tiers. On the S side of the castle stand the S wall and footings of a range of 17th-century buildings enclosing a courtyard. Overall, the castle measures about 34m N-S by about 40m E-W.
The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. It is quadrangular, with maximum dimensions of 51m approximately E-W by 70m approximately N-S, and is defined on all sides except the S by the outer face of a stone wall, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.