Dated 1816. Stables, now mostly converted for
domestic/garage use. 3 2-storey ranges built around
quadrangular court, latter closed to east, above River Nith,
by high wall. Rubble-built with ashlar or modern concrete,
margins, rusticated quoins at west, all painted. Symmetrical
west elevation: 7 bays, articulated with taller advanced
outer bays and central entrance tower, these with simply
pedimented gables; tower has full-height angle pilaster
strips and segmental arch to pend all rusticated, Venetian
window and crest above, dovecot in gable and weathervane
finial; modern (masonry) flanking flues; glazed
segmental-arched former carriage houses to each outer bay,
with Venetian window inserted above (possibly replacing
oculi, arched stones re-used); upper window margins of
remaining bays linked to eaves band. Small-paned glazing.
1958 crest (possibly dates conversion) to courtyard above segmental-arched pend, other openings to courtyard
square-headed; some upper windows break through eaves and
have gabled dormer heads; garage in north range by Peddie and
Forbes Smith, 1915. Stacks mostly modern, but corniced;
roofed with graded slates.
Detached low range to north.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.