Probably 16th century in origin with later additions and alterations by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1916; Reginald Fairlie, 1926. Castellated mansion of asymmetrical composition forming open courtyard comprising restored 3-storey, rectangular-plan keep to SE with engaged 6-stage, circular-plan stair tower recessed to left (heightened); 2-storey with basement, 6-bay mansion house adjoined to left again with later storey above; engaged 3-storey, square-plan stair tower in re-entrant angle to left; asymmetrical, 3-storey with attic projection to outer left; lower 3-storey, 2-bay block recessed to outer right. Predominantly pink sandstone rubble with rubble dressings; squared and snecked tooled pink sandstone to later additions with sandstone ashlar dressings. String course and former cornice to principal range; predominantly modillioned eaves with crenellated parapets; moulded eaves to N wing; crowstepped gables. Chamfered surrounds to later openings (architraved in part); sandstone and timber mullions and transoms. Single storey, 3-bay ancillary structure (former electricity house?) to SE.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration throughout with single and bipartite windows. Projecting 3-storey keep to right of centre. Engaged stair tower recessed to left. Adjoining mansion house recessed to left with squat basement windows with rubble relieving arches; irregularly-spaced windows at ground with chamfered oriel to outer left; later attic storey with coat-of-arms; corbelled turret to outer left. 3-storey stair tower projecting to left; coat-of-arms to right. Full-height projection to outer left with architraved panelled door; tripartite window at 1st floor; crenellated parapet with corbelled bartizan to right; crowstepped gablehead to outer left. Lower 3-storey block adjoining keep recessed to right with roll-moulded surround to boarded timber door. Single storey, flat-roofed addition projecting to outer right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical block stepped out at ground with 5 bipartite windows; large bipartite window centred at 1st floor; corbelled, shallow canted window above; flanking double-height panels with large bipartite windows at ground; bipartite windows above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration throughout. 4-storey principal projection at centre. Lower, 2-bay wing recessed to right. Flush, full-height range adjoined to right. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay range recessed to left of principal projection. Gabled projection to left with crowstepped gablehead; full-height bay recessed to left. Flush lower range adjoined to left. Single storey, flat-roofed addition to outer left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting crowstepped gable end to right with single storey, flat-roofed addition at ground; plain parapet to left. Keep recessed to left. Taller range recessed to left with engaged stair tower to right; full-height bay recessed to left with blocked door and window at ground; relieving arch in upper floor corbelled out above. Full-height wing recessed to left; corbelled bartizan to outer left.
Predominantly timber-framed leaded glazing (diamond-paned in part); some timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof (flat roof in part); some crowstepped skews; corbelled skewputts. Coped sandstone ridge, apex and wallhead stacks; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999. Existing records show decorative floor tiling to vestibule. Turnpike stair in S tower; fireplace at ground. N block with wide turnpike stair from E (N tower); large rooms at ground and 1st floors with fireplaces (remains of); plain walls; boarded timber floors; flat ceilings. E block with remains of fireplace; chamfered window openings; flat ceiling. Vaulting and panelling removed by Burrell.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan block with lean-to addition to side. Rubble with pink sandstone ashlar dressings; boarded timber addition. Rusticated quoins; blocked margins; flush cills. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door at centre; single windows in flanking bays. Boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer right. Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Coped sandstone wallhead stacks. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Statement of Special Interest
B Group comprises 'Hutton Castle', 'Hutton Castle, Boundary Walls, Railings, Pier, Gatepiers and Gates at West Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Walled Garden' and 'Hutton Castle, West Lodge' - see separate list entries. Dramatically sited above the Whiteadder and noted in the ORDNANCE GAZETTEER as comprising '...a very ancient peel-tower, with a long mansion attached, of patch-work structure and various dates.' The estate of Hutton Hall was purchased in 1876 Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks of Guisachan, later Baron Tweedmouth, who in turn sold it to Sir William Burrell in 1916. A photograph dating from the 1880s shows the then 3-storey principal range with a pantiled roof, adjoining a gabled projection to the left and the then roofless, ruinous remains of the 16th century keep. A photograph dated 1915, prior to Lorimer's additions the following year, shows the keep as having been rebuilt with a lower addition to the side. It also shows a further storey as having been added to the principal range and a conical cap surmounting the corbelled turret. Although Lorimer produced numerous plans for Hutton (drawings held in the NMRS) he and his then friend Burrell argued irreconcilably over the work and it remained incomplete. In 1926 Lorimer's former pupil, Reginald Fairlie, was commissioned to carry out further alterations, including the creation of the N wing - the principal interiors of which have been removed and reconstructed in the Burrell Collection, Pollok Estate, Glasgow. Burrell finally moved into Hutton in 1927 and died here in 1958, having fulfilled his ambition to live in Baronial style surrounded by his many treasures. Unoccupied for much of the later 20th century, the building is now being restored as a private dwelling (1999). The former stable block and coach house to the SE is now in separate ownership and has been converted into a private dwelling (1999).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.