James Dempster, 1826-7, bombed 1941, ruin preserved as monument in 1954. Gothic tower with flanking buttressed bays; wall to cill level delineating original rectangular plan of church. Ashlar-faced with ashlar margins and dressings; battered base course.
NW ELEVATION AND TOWER: 2-stage tower with crenellated parapet; angle buttresses, spikey pinnacles with crocketted finials. Main elevation, pointed arch, 3-light, plate traceried windows symmetrically disposed at each stage; string course. Moulded pointed arch door on right return, now blocked, possibly later hoodmould with red sandstone carved mask labelstops; plaque with floreate boss above; window at upper stage (detailed as above). Symmetrical flanking bays each with hoodmoulded lancet and ashlar parapet to skews. Low square-plan block in re-entrant angle to left, former boiler.
SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: original wall partially carried around, remains of chamfered window surround, part of hoodmould. 1954 wall carried to cill level mirroring the original walls.
SE (INNER) ELEVATION: rubble inner wall of tower, door at ground, partially blocked; 3-centred pointed window blocked at upper level.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: gabletted ashlar gatepiers with recessed panels, arrowhead cast-iron gates, wrought-iron overthrow with lantern. Squared sandstone rubble wall with some harl pointing and later cement pointing.
GRAVEYARD AND MONUMENTS: number of interesting 17th, 18th and 19th century grave monuments.
BURIAL ENCLOSURES: pair of early 19th century rectangular-plan identical burial enclosures side by side against NW wall; ashlar; base course; sandstone eaves course; crenellated coped parapets; red sandstone pediment armorial plaque at centre, door at centre, flanking ashlar oval plaques.
ENCLOSURE TO LEFT: "Charles Johnston 1827" inscribed in right oval; blank left plaque. Boarded door, modern galvanised roof; gunloops.
ENCLOSURE TO RIGHT: roofless; doorless. Lintel of door with faded inscription; flanking blank ovals. Table monument to John Innes inside.
ENCLOSURE IN CORNER: pink sandstone gothic wall monument to Burn family in NE corner. Trefoil-headed blind arcade along 2 sides with low plinth wall and railings enclosing to right, railings to front removed. Arcade carried on colonettes, terminated by sawtooth, gabletted pier buttresses; B inscribed in gablet. Engraved pink granite panels in centre arches of back wall; armorial plaque above right hand arch; Grey granite Greek cross discs in squinches.
Along W boundary wall are a number of early 17th and 18th century remains of monuments.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.