1648 datestone at rear, remodelled 1840 by David Hamilton; substantially remodelled 1915 A N Paterson. 2-storey and attic and 3-storey rectangular-plan house. 1915 ashlar ground floor with painted harl, sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Broad eaves band. Architraved windows (cill excepted) to Paterson remodelling.
W (MAIN) ELEVATION: A N Paterson remodelling 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical block with 3-storey, 3-bay David Hamilton block to outer left. Shallow canted entrance block at centre; balustraded parapet; faceted roof; tall windows at 1st floor, strapwork quoins; centre window casement window in French window manner. Bowed ashlar portico advanced at centre; mutuled entablature on 4 Roman Doric columns; narrow window infilling between outer column and inner pilaster; 4-panelled door with moulded surround. Flanking symmetrical bays; shallow canted ground floor, Gibbsian surround to the windows; low cast-iron parapets and flanking stone urns. 3 windows in Venetian arrangement above. Wooden gabled dormers symmetrically disposed with modern plate glass windows. Taller 3-storey symmetrical block to outer left, harled with ashlar architraves; cill band course to 2nd floor; eaves cornice stepped over upper floor windows; corniced 1st floor windows.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay, 2-storey block, 3-bay, 3-storey block to right. 6 bays with 7th blank bay to outer left, lintel band course at 1st floor. Shaped gable to 2-bays at centre, 2 windows flanking bull?s-eye window at attic level; 2 windows at 1st floor level with bull?s-eye window to outer left; 2 windows at ground, that to right formerly door with marriage lintel inscribed "God will provide 16 ID IS 46". 3 bays to right, window enlarged at 1st floor, inner window with modern corbelled balcony; modern lean-to porch at centre ground. Blank bay outer left, formerly window at ground and 1st floor, now blocked. Modern gabled timber dormers symmetrically disposed to outer right and left. David Hamilton block advanced to outer right, ashlar blocking course; door at ground to left. Lower former service block to outer right; windows variously disposed; piend-roofed dormers.
S ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed; harled, ashlar margins. Modern door at centre ground; elongated Palladian stair window; pair of flanking symmetrical bays, pediment in blocking course at centre of bays below wallhead stack
N ELEVATION: 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Eaves cornice stepped over upper windows, corniced 1st floor windows; architraved door to right of centre bays.
6-pane over 9-pane sash and case windows; 8-pane sash and case windows; 2-pane over 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs, lead flashings. Broad ashlar coped ridge stacks, tall rendered stacks on Paterson block; Hamilton block with grouped octagonal corniced stacks.
COACH HOUSE: former coach house and service block to N. Single storey, former U-plan court opening to E. Stuccoed on W elevation with ashlar margins; rendered at rear with ashlar margins; modern windows. W elevation with triangular pedimented former archway at centre, flanked by blind windows, piend-roofed dormerheads to outer left and right. U-plan to E with piend-roofed dormerheads, modern windows. Octagonal coped wallhead stacks on Hamilton block; tall rendered wallhead stacks on side elevation.
INTERIOR: house now subdivided into apartments. Decorative scheme of 1840 and 1915 surviving. Main hall with wooden wainscot panelling; ashlar chimneypieces, Tudor-arched with trefoil motif; ashlar arch; stonework stugged at rear of hall all 1915. Delicate plasterwork in upper rooms to S; stair with delicately carved barleysugar balusters.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.