Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 01/03/1984


  • Local Authority: Fife
  • Planning Authority: Fife
  • Parish: Monimail

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNO 29893 13801
  • Coordinates329893, 713801


James Smith, architect, 1697-1701, probably using, or based on, designs by Sir William Bruce; alterations and additions by Reginald Fairlie, 1939. Large, symmetrical H-plan classical mansion house, linked by screen walls to flanking pavilions. House: 3 storeys over raised basement. Rendered and lined as ashlar, with ashlar dressings, lugged

architraves and rusticated quoins. North and south elevations are similar; 9 bays, outer 2 advanced with central entrance. Principal entrance originally on south elevation (now glazed); splayed stone steps with ornate wrought-iron balustrade; projecting pilastered and pedimented 19th century porch to north elevation. East and west elevations each have 6 bays, inner 2 slightly advanced, and pedimented with oculi. 12 or 15-pane sashes to ground and 1st floor; smaller

basement and 2nd floor windows, latter all 6-pane. Set-off at basement; continuous string between floors; eaves course and corncie. Symmetrically- placed corniced stacks with angle margins; central octagonal lantern with bell-cast roof and capping weather vane finial. Piended and platform slated and leaded roof.

INTERIOR: lavishly oak-panelled rooms with classical features; panelled doors, some corniced with pulvinated friezes, some pedimented and mostly in lugged architraves; Corinthian or Ionic pilasters flanking chimney pieces, and entablatures; raised and fielded panelling; box cornices.

1st floor saloon has carved chimneypiece in west drawing room with overmantel carved with swags, putti, Earl's coronet etc.

2 parallel pavilion blocks form courtyard to south of house; rectangular-plan blocks, each 2 storeys, harled with ashlar margins, eaves course, cornice, 2 corniced axial stacks and piended slate roofs. West block has 7 irregular bays to courtyard elevation, blind tripartites to single bay south wall; east block has 8 bays to courtyard, blind windows to 2-bay south elevation. Screen walls linking to house are harled with ashlar margins; each has altered central rectangular gate with blind oculus over, and flanking round-headed alcoves; moulded stone coping with capping urn and 4 symmetrically placed balls. 2 square lodges flank gateway to south of house; these are

both 2 storeys; harled, with ashlar margins and rusticated quoins; single, large, central rectangular ground floor opening to north elevation of each with window above; door and windows to other elevations; single wall-head stacks, and slated bell cast roof with weathervane finial inscribed 'M' and dated 1697. Low rubble wall links with squat corniced square gatepiers with diamond pointed masonry.

Statement of Special Interest

Now used as a boy's home. Only plinths remain in garden of sundial and statues of 'Frame' and of 'Mercury'.



SNMR holds copies of Smith drawings, surveys and various articles. SRO GD26 RCAHM INVENTORY OF FIFE, 1933. pp 211-2 (illus 344-7) (no 427)

Stirling Maxwell, SHRINES AND HOMES OF SCOTLAND pp 191-2 (illus 99)


About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/05/2016 19:48