Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

FOCHABERS, CASTLE STREET, GORDON CHAPEL (EPISCOPAL CHURCH) AND GORDON CHAPEL HOUSE (PARSONAGE)Reference: LB1549

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 24/03/1988

Location

  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Bellie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 34595 58887
  • Coordinates334595, 858887

Description

Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations,

Alexander Ross, 1874.

2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in

ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S

entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance

gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.

Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts

and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light

pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and

continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses

with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed

pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair

wing at W (1874).

Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose

window above. Slate roofs.

Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied

glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended

roof.

INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated

1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely

redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and

replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit;

brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall.

Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward

Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably

dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall

depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887),

Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and

St Michael (1914).

Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets.

Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides

supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from

elsewhere).

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Chapel and school given by Elizabeth, wife of 5th Duke of

Gordon. Mural tablet in entrance lobby commemorates Alexina

Mackintosh, who died in 1838 aged 21 having been a school

teacher for 4 years.

Unusual 2-tier plan-form.

References

Bibliography

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p 119-120. George

Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES

1560-1843 (1957), pp 150, 266. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL

DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978), p 737.

Judith Scott, FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF UPS AND DOWNS, THE GORDON

CHAPEL FOCHABERS (1984).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/05/2016 07:02