Dated 1680. 2-storey, L-plan house with circular stair
turret in re-entrant angle; 3 builds circa 1600, 1680 and
mid-later 19th century. Harled, whinstone and granite
ashlar dressings, substantial boulder footings to earliest
portion of house at N. N-S rectangular block with main E
elevation comprises circa 1600 build at N and 1680 at S,
with simple doorway in E front under dated and inscribed
plaque. Mid-later 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay block at
right angles with projecting gabled porch in N face and
enlarged ground floor windows. Circular stair tower with
2 windows and diminutive gabletted wallhead dormers;
bellcast slated roof. Varied fenestration with small
gabletted dormers breaking wallhead in older portion, 1
dormer at E having gablet dated 1680. Substantial early
ridge stack in early block (probably circa 1600) with end
stacks, small ridge stack in mid-later 19th century wing;
slate roofs; crowstepped gables.
INTERIOR: simple interior; plank door with long blacksmith's
hinges in E elevation giving into room with hearth in cross
wall with roughly tooled granite facings and 2 mural
aumbries. Ground floor room at N with indication of former
internal mural stair; wheel stair in drum tower.
Statement of Special Interest
Lands of Mayen were originally part of the Barony of
Rothiemay and were bestowed on David Abernethy by David
II in 14th century; in 1445 an Abernethy became the first
Earl of Saltoun. Arms above doorway for Alexander Abernethy
and Jean Hacket or Halkett his wife, 'Alus per Christum
AA IH 1680'. The property was purchased by Major Alexander
Duff in 1785-8, who built Mayen House and demoted the old
house as the Mains of Mayen. West wing of mid-later 19th
century date appears on 1st ed OS of circa 1870. Change
of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.