Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Bellie
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 37886 61252
- Coordinates337886, 861252
1755, renovated 1787 and early 20th century, restored 1951,
Ian G Lindsay, architect. Simple long, low single storey
building with 10-bay S elevation with regular fenestration.
Harled, ashlar dressings. Plain square-headed entrance in
penultimate SW bay, doorway to sacristy in end E bay. 6
windows in rear N elevation; mainly 12-pane glazing. Ball
finial at W gable apex (circa 1787); stack at E gable; graded
Banffshire slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple whitewashed interior. Principal doorway
opens into entrance lobby with baptistry separated by flat
balustered railings. Doorway to church framed by (? re-used)
corniced doorpiece with fluted Corinthian engaged columns and
closed by pair 18th century fielded panelled doors with
modern partial glazing. Simple grey painted pews and
confessional; chancel separated by turned altar rails and
framed by reeded pilasters supporting simple wooden arch.
Small octagonal pulpit (1787) with octagonal sounding board,
fielded shaped panelling and moulded cornices.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical buiding in use as such.
First surviving Roman Catholic church to be built in Scotland
after the Reformation. Replaced church sited in St Ninian's
burial ground, Chapelford, desecrated by soldiers in 1728.
Built by Father Godsman, incorporating dwelling of a 'poor
woman' as a 'cot for his sheep', as inconspicuous place of
worship. Until the building of St Ninian's, mass had been
celebrated in barns, frequently at night and the priest
travelling the countryside disguised as a farmer. With the
Braes of Glenlivet and the Arisaig-Moidart area of Lochaber,
the Enzie in historically strongly Roman Catholic.
St Ninian's was originally thatched, but slated in 1787,
re-using slates from the abandoned church at Chapelford.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p. 122. Peter F Anson,
'THE BANFFSHIRE BETHLEHEM, ST NINIAN'S TYNET' (guide book,
George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES (1957), pp. 153, 267, pl. 22b. Robert McDonald,
CHURCHES AND PLACES OF CATHOLIC INTEREST IN MORAY (1980), no
p. nos. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY
(1981), p. 49.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.
Sorry, there are no images available for this record.
Sorry, there is no map available for this record.