Churchyard enclosing 1900 parish church by James Barbour and
roofless shell of 1770 old church.
PARISH CHURCH: Gothic; basically rectangular-plan, 3 bays
with square tower at SW, gabled organ-chamber in shallow E
jamb opposite. Roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
tower and S gable harled.
TOWER: door in re-entrant angle, W-facing window lights
vestry at lower level; louvred and traceried opening each
face of upper level, and simple parapet with birdcage belfry
over one angle.
BODY OF CHURCH: gabled timber canopy over paired doors at N
end of W wall; elementary perpendicular tracery, jamb with
rose window; single window to each gable; string at cill
level. Saw-toothed skews and slated roof with projecting
INTERIOR: octagonal pulpit with panelled front and decorative
canopy; carved, open timbered roof on shaped corbels; leaded
windows in either gable and on E wall, 2 of these by Swaine
Bourne & Son, Birmingham and London (signed).
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built ashlar-coped walls; 2
coped, square, polished ashlar gatepiers with wrought-iron
gates (earlier gateway to W of lattice); some good 17th-19th
century stone monuments; rubble built shed (former watch
OLD PARISH CHURCH: abandoned 1900; T-plan, with 4-bay S
elevation, central door on each gable; rubble-built with
ashlar margins, now heavily overgrown: circa 1907 canopied
Gothic monument on site of pulpit, red ashlar, moulded arch
with cusping and ogee head.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.