Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Westerkirk

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 32446 89012
  • Coordinates332446, 589012


Probably late 18th century, alterations including garage

block after 1911. Stable court, 3 main blocks in U-plan with

symmetrical S front, detached smaller block at N. Single

storey with lofts. Whitewashed rubble with ashlar margins.

S ELEVATION: garage block central (replacing quadrant walls)

with appearance of traditional stables block (sliding timber

doors to courtyard) with central segmental-arched pend and

flanking windows, square stacks over angles, axial roof

ventilators: narrow bays link end walls of outer ranges,

latter each with loft opening over off-centre ground-floor


E RANGE: now 2 houses, 1st floor windows raised above eaves

with semi-circular dormer heads; single porch; slappings

in E wall.

S RANGE: 3 wide bays to court, square loft opening above

door in each. Windows mostly small-paned sashes. Slate

roofs, mostly piended. Detached block 3 bays, 2 inner doors

- one blocked - below arched loft window.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally stables to Westerhall House.

Some of the work which Thomas Telford is known to have done

at Westerhall may have involved the stables.



1911 Westerhall Estate Sale Catalogue in NMRS - inc.

photo taken before alterations.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 31/05/2016 20:53