Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 03/08/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Mouswald

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 5688 75557
  • Coordinates305688, 575557


Composite L-plan house probably incorporating tower house at

west; present form established probably first half 18th

century; some windows enlarged early 19th century, and

interior re-modelled circa 1880 by James Barbour; further

alterations by J M Bowie circa 1915. House faces south west;

3 storeys; whitewashed rubble with red ashlar margins;

regularly placed small-paned sash windows. Stair turret in

re-entrant angle with small windows, blocked door and

shallow-pitched roof; main door alongside (by Bowie -

replacing Barbour's porch) in east range with crest above, 2

bays beyond. West range extends one bay from stair turret and

is blank at ground; small, low ground floor (bar) windows to

north west elevation, fire escape against south east gable.

Stair windows (by Barbour) at rear above modern function

room, and outbuildings, latter 2 storeys 3 bays with T-plan

roof and now linked with house. Corniced stacks; slate roofs.

Interior: turnpike stair in turret; wooden stair by Barbour

to rear above ground floor (lower part presumably removed

when function room was built); irregular narrow corridor

between 2 ranges runs length of house; some decorative 19th

century plasterwork in east range; barrel-vaulted ceiling of

bar is dummy at north end at least. Square gatepiers

(presumably by either Barbour or Bowie) have projecting caps

with engaged ball finials; curved, low quadrant walls with

spiked cast-iron railings; gates similar.

Statement of Special Interest

Home of Grierson of Lag, "Lag the persecutor" (Scott's


Stone table on lawn to west, dated September 1720, said to

have been a marriage stone.

Sketch by W C Aitken in Dumfries museum shows present bar

(then kitchen) without vault at north end (copy of sketch in


Fergusson, THE LAIRD OF LAG, 1886, notes on p.121 a sasine of

Rockhall dated 1.5.1610 which mentions "all and haill the

place of Rockhall laitlie biggit be the said Sir William"




Barbour and Bowie's Plans, mostly dated 1880 or 1915 held by

Sutherland Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries (Copies in NMRS)

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 26/05/2016 09:41